In 1889, a time in history when women were fighting for their right to vote, five respected Talbot County women recognized the burdens for women left with the responsibility of maintaining their farms after the death of a spouse or family member. Understanding the societal limitations on women for land ownership, these visionaries in their own right, devised a plan. Thus was born the idea of "The Home for Aged Women".
After several years of planning, the first resident, Mary Ann Cox, moved into temporary quarters on May 7, 1903 and was soon joined by four more women. Mrs. Amanda Dixon, one of the original founding "mothers" and her husband, Robert deeded a small tract of land on a quiet street in Easton and after gathering support from the local community, were able to build a comfortable and affordable home for senior women. In 1910 the Home for the Aged Women of Talbot and Caroline Counties admitted the first residents.
To commemorate the Dixon family, the Board of Directors renamed the "home" in 1984 to The Dixon House. It was at this same time that men were accepted for admission. Since its inception over 100 years ago, The Dixon House is committed to the enrichment of the lives of the residents it serves and to the staff it employs. Today, The Dixon House continues to enjoy an excellent reputation for comfort, privacy and quality care.